Saturday, October 16, 2010

Favorite Baby Gift

Another post, so soon!

I couldn't wait to share my all-time favorite baby gift with y'all. I was looking through the photos on my laptop and I found these:

It's Peanut the Wee Elephant designed by Hillary Lang and included in Last-Minute Patchwork and Quilted Gifts by Joelle Hoverson. I highly recommend the book and the pattern. I've made this elephant at least 5 times already and each time people ooh and aah it. My sweet friend, Kelly, who I made this one for, even said that she hopes this will be her baby's favorite toy, but if it's not, it'll at least be hers. I love when people appreciate handmade items. It makes all the time and energy spent so worthwhile!

A cute braided tail!

Since I had made this so often before, I sewed it together without consulting the book and I ended up using incorrect seam allowances. So this is the fit and trim model instead of the pleasantly plump one, but still so cute! A fun aspect of making it for me was that Kelly and her husband had decided not to find out the sex of the baby ahead of time, so I had to pick fabrics that were gender neutral. This made it a little more challenging, but I am happy with what I picked. The baby has been born by now and he is wonderful, cute boy. I hope that he'll have years of fun playing with this elephant.

3 comments:

Lauren Baker said...

How cute! And I love your awesome new blog! :)

Kelly said...

Yay! That's Noah's elephant!! Such a wonderful keepsake for him to keep forever!!

Mary said...

Thanks so much for your comments, Courtney, Lauren and Kelly! I didn't even check my blog until now! My new New Year's resolution is to be a better blogger. Y'all are so sweet!